We all have days when we wake up and do not want to work out. We are totally unmotivated and make excuses why we can’t exercise. We’ve hit a brick wall in our workouts. Believe me, I used to be the queen of excuses. The list included:
- I’m too tired
- I’m too sore
- It’s too hard
- It’s too late
- I’ve got too much to do
- I’ll do it later
- I’m not seeing results
- I need to spend more time with my family
- Bla bla bla…….
There is no harm in taking a break. If you are training for something, rest days are essential. But when rest days stretch into several days, or the break becomes too long, you are in danger of losing the motivation to start again.
I ran a few half-marathons one summer, and decided I needed to take a break from running. The break turned into two years! I didn’t stop exercising completely, but I did stop running. Imagine my surprise when I tried running again and could only run a mile. It seems unfair that it takes so long to build up to something, and we can lose it so quickly (well two years is a really long time, but you know what I mean). The point is, we work hard to make progress, so don’t give up and lose your motivation!
If you aren’t motivated to do your workout, get dressed in your workout clothes anyway. This is a strong motivator. Remember why you started exercising in the first place. If you are bored, decide to try something new. Do some cross training, or work out at a different time. Try a new machine at the gym, or do Monday’s work out on Thursday and vice-versa. Maybe just go for a walk or do some cardio. But don’t make excuses and do nothing!
My response to the excuses above:
- I’m too tired…Exercise give you bundles of energy!
- I’m too sore….You need to keep working to train your muscles – no pain, no gain!
- It’s too hard….Back off and do less until you build up to your strength or mileage!
- It’s too late….Never too late to get something done, 10 minute workouts are great!
- I’ve got too much to do…a one hour workout is only 4% of your day and worth it!
- I’ll do it later..Do it now- sometimes later becomes never!
- I’m not seeing results…Perfection takes time – slow and steady wins the race!
- I need to spend more time with my family..take a walk with them, play soccer, etc.
- Bla bla bla…….No More Excuses!
The truth is, I know very few people (well none really) that ever regret a workout. Once you get out there and get it done, you will be glad you did. Hang in there!